butternut squash – about to be chopped up into pieces and boiled in stew
Despite a forecast for rain, we had a pretty nice mild weekend. Still can’t escape the fact that the days are getting shorter but we’ll appreciate some ‘no jacket’ weather when we get it. A few things I did this weekend:
- Went for breakfast with the girls Saturday morning (apple cheddar walnut crepes & lots of coffee for me)
- Took advantage of being out in daylight and hiked up the mountain for the first time in weeks
- Saw family members from out of town that I hadn’t seen in 10-15 years
- Made a last minute decision to go to a Halloween party and came up with a last minute costume –> white shirt, white socks and some 80s sunglasses. [Halloween is just an excuse to leave my apartment with no pants on]
- I did some ink painting for my art class homework [give me a paint brush or a pencil and I am content for hours – you will have to feed me though]
- I cleaned – it’s crazy how messy a tiny little girl [me] can be.
- I cooked! [what’s new?] I made a new recipe – a stew that includes everything but the kitchen sink. Butternut squash, tomatoes, onions, chickpeas, garlic, yellow peppers, carrots, kale and basil. It’s hearty and full of healthy veggies. Perfect for fall.
- I baked some apples and pears in maple syrup, lemon juice and vanilla. I am trying a week of gluten-ish free. I want to see how it affects my energy levels.
A pretty sweet weekend, no? When will I win the lotto so I can paint and cook every day of the week? I am trying new recipes these days so that I can eventually have a handful of trusty hearty/healthy ones I love that I can make in large batches for the week.